Monday 11 March 2013

Typewriter - My little Piece of History

For a long time now, I have had a great interest of things from the past. Whether it was studying Ancient Egypt in class, or watching a couple of specials on the Discovery Chanel, all of it I found quite intriguing in mysterious. It wasn't until the time in which I began to decorate an outfit my very own scrapbook/craft room that I truly found an interest in antiques. 

  A little background on my little interest in buying by way of bargains: As a child my mother would take my bothers an I to garage sales each year. We would jump in the car and try to stock ourselves up with cheap toys that became our new found treasures. As I got older the appeal just increased. I was allowed to make bigger purchases and collect more and more stuff in order that I might fill my room to the brim. One year I even bought on of those low up chairs (unfortunately everyone thought this was quite awesome and regular visits would be taken to my room in order that it might be sat upon and tortured until it popped).

Once I began researching different craft room design, i quickly became enthralled by the idea of storing almost everything in jars (perhaps one day I'll post a mini tour of my craft room). These were cheapest to find a different thrift stores. All this lead my to the introduction of a overcrowded flea market in Petrolia. I quickly formed on obsession of searching through the glass cabinets and boxes to find new storage solutions and treasures.

It wasn't long after that I widened my search and began collecting various different pieces that I could clean up and re-purpose and in some cases revamp (as I have now collect a great variety of pieces for some extraordinary projects to complete).




This particular piece was one that my mother (though I wish I could claim it was me) found on kijiji. For sometime i wished for a variety of rather large (which had the tendency of also being pricey) display pieces. The asking price i believe was $50, but I offered the man $30 and he agreed that was fair. Upon driving to pick up this little treasure the owner explained that his father had bought this typewriter himself back when he was a young boy. The typewriter was heavy and taking up a fair amount of space, and as a result the son was attempting to sell off a few of the items he had inherited.

After a little clean up with the air gun, this piece was looking as wonderful as could be. Turns out it even works! The ink tape is slowly starting to wear out, but if just thought it was neat that none of the keys were sticky even. It was a truly great find. What was even better is that afterwords I was talking to a lady in Port Huron who told be she sells hers anywhere between $60-$80, which means the price was great.

Overall it turned out to be an amazing piece, now the only problem is finding the ultimate place to display it at.

(p.s. I finally decided to update every Monday - trying to keep it consistent - so check up then for a new post)

2 comments:

  1. :O i am slightly jealous of that typewriter! I've always wanted an old one like that! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It was an amazing find. After I bought it I kind of second guessed myself wondering if it was a little much to pay for a decor piece but in the end I was still super happy I did. I mean who wouldn't love to buy a little piece of history to keep and treasure?
      Now I Just need to find the perfect place to stick it ;)

      Delete