Friday 1 March 2013

Night Stand/Book Storage Rustic Revamp

Over the summer I made it my goal to hunt for some piece of furniture that i could redo. I have previously redone an old stool that I received from my grandmother as well as a variety of other small pieces that I've picked up at garage sales, but nothing too big. as a result I was eager to get my hands dirty with some sanding and a coat of paint. It was at the very end of our garage sale trip this summer that I finally found the piece I was looking for. It was old, full of holes, and sturdy as can be.

Unfortunately I was only able to find these two pictures of the before piece, which does not show you much. As you can see there were wheels on the bottom attached with a combination of rusty screws as well as rusty nails.



After the nails were removed I flipped it right side up and began my sanding. This was followed by more sanding, then filling in the holes, and then even more sanding. Since the holes were so large (your could fit a golf ball through them) I really couldn't stain the piece.

Next was the really hard part, deciding how to finish it. Looking at a variety of pictures, I kinda enjoyed a two tone look that was quite beautiful. It was a rustic look that applied pain to the outside of the piece and then stained the inside. I figured for such a rustic/roughed up piece this would look great. Using a variety of different paints that we already had in the house, I was able to produce a yellow toned beige. before applying any paint i took the suggestion of a blog to give my piece that worn edge look. I took an old candle and rubbed some wax along the edges. This allowed for easy removal of the edge paint by way of sand paper. I did not find this particular method very great. It was impossible to tell whether or not I was putting on too much, which in the end I figured i did. after one coat of paint, the paint flaked off in parts on which i wanted it to stay.

The actual color is much less yellowy, it just happened to look that way due to the lighting.
Overall I was still quite pleased with the piece, and decided that my next piece (a chest of drawers) will be done attempting a different method to make that wood look old.

Can't wait for summer so I have fresh air in which to work on my next piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment