Tuesday 1 October 2013

Bookcase Display - Visual Merchandising

One of my favorite classes this semester happens to be visual Merchandising. This does not really surprise me in the least since I loved rearranging my mothers displays every time I dusted the living room, and jumped at the opportunity to get yet another cheap or creative display item. So far we have simply sat through a few short lectures and then completed several activities per class. I think every class we have had so far has included the opportunity to decorate a bookcase. The Studio has to large cabinets stocked with display items, everything from pillows to lamps, and candle sticks to fake flowers. The front of the room is lined with four different bookcases, two being black and two being white. I of course (being me and all) tried to get the whit one most often, and the one time I tried black, I felt like my decor faded right into the background. The biggest challenge with these bookcases is not continuously using the exact same items, and being able to create a display even though four other people are right on top of you reaching to grab that lantern you just thought would go perfect in the bottom right corner. 

Here are my displays in order from week one.

This is my first bookcase, and quite honestly one of my favorites.
 Put together on my first week of class with my friend Meghan.

This is the book case from week two, with the theme of green and metallic.
This one was done with my friend Erica and we unfortunately missed
out on a couple display items cause we had no idea where to start.

This is week number three. As you can see, some of my decor kind of faded into
the bookcase since it was a dark purple (and the few black items I had did as well).
 This was the first week that we were told to do a bookcase alone. So not
terrible due to the time restraint, but still my least favorite.

This is my most recent book case, metallic and yellow accents. This was
definitely an interesting scheme to do since all the yellow accents were small and
most of them were flowers (the few that weren't flower were fruit). It doesn't have too much
 contrast, but what can I say, I'm really just a white and pop of color kind of girl.

And that is a few of my in class assignments. My next project will be decorating a themed three foot Christmas tree, and I am super excited. I will have to make sure I post pictures once it is complete.

P.s. sorry for the poor quality pictures for most of them, my nice camera is a bit too big to take to school so almost all of them are phone pictures.

Jessica Sipkens

No comments:

Post a Comment